The German influence is hard to miss in New Braunfels. The names alone will give you a clue: places in the city like the Sophienburg Museum and the Wursthalle, center of the 10-day celebration of that German favorite – sausage, and in the surrounding countryside – Anhalt and Sangerhalle.
Over one-million visitors come to the home of the number one waterpark in the country, Schlitterbahn and other wonderful varities of recreation in and around New Braunfels include:
• Tube, swim, raft, or kayak the rivers
• Sail, boat, water ski or fish in Canyon Lake
• Fly fish in the Guadalupe River
• Search history at Sophienburg Museum
• Experience Conservation Plaza
• Enjoy more than 100 festivals a year
• Visit the local art gallery / museums
• Live music at Gruene Hall /other venues
Tourism in New Braunfels boasts an economic impact of $469 million, employs over 5,000 direct workers and supports another 2,000 employees. In 2009, the hospitality industry paid $70.3 million in direct wages and contributed over $12 million in taxes and other revenue to the City of New Braunfels.